Northeast Philadelphia Immigration Attorney

Elections have consequences. This adage is proving ever more true in light of the changes to the United States immigration policy following the 2016 Presidential election. It is no secret that the America is the land of opportunity. It is therefore also no wonder why the United States has the largest population of foreign-born residents in the world. However, seeking that opportunity can be a challenge without the advice and assistance of a good Immigration Attorney. Without proper advice and assistance to help you navigate our complex immigration laws, this opportunity can be lost.

If you wish to remain in the United States, then you should strongly consider obtaining a green card. Obtaining your green card, also known as obtaining lawful permanent residency, is the best way to remain in the United States long term. Obtaining your green card may also allow you to eventually apply for citizenship. There are several ways to qualify for a green card.

Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens. You may qualify for a green card if you are the relative of a U.S. Citizen. You qualify for a green card if you are:

  • Married to a U.S. Citizen
  • A Parent of a U.S. Citizen
  • A single child under the age of 21 of a U.S. Citizen
  • A stepchild of a U.S. Citizen in certain circumstances
  • An adopted Child of a U.S. Citizen, and the adoption took place before the child’s 16th birthday

If you are the family member of a U.S. Citizen but not a spouse, child, or parent, you may still qualify. However, non-immediate relatives are a lower priority, and a waiting period will apply depending on your country of origin and your relationship to the U.S. citizen.

Certain Long-Time Residents

Certain long-time residents who have lived her unlawfully for over ten years may request permanent residency in defense of removal proceedings. This is called cancellation of removal. If you have been served a “Notice to Appear” by Immigration Control and Enforcement (“ICE”), you have been targeted for removal. Talk to an Immigration Attorney to find out if you qualify for cancellation of removal.

Refuge and Asylum Seekers

If you have a fear of returning to your country based on persecution for your race, religion, political beliefs, or membership in a particular social group, you may apply for asylum. Those who are granted asylum may remain in the United States lawfully, and can eventually apply for permanent residency. Asylum may also be a basis to prevent deportation. Talk to an Immigration Attorney to see if you qualify.

Employees and Workers

The United States relies on foreign-born workers to fulfill the needs of the U.S. job market. 140,000 green cards are issued each year to meet those needs. You may qualify for a visa or even permanent residency if you have the specific skills or education, based on need and availability.

Immigration Attorney Northeast Philadelphia

There may be other ways for you to lawfully enter or remain in the United States. An Immigration Attorney can custom-tailor his or her services based on your specific situation and needs. Set up a free consultation with The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. today!

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.